Going Blog Wild?

Problogue:
I have, what I think, is a relatively long history with blogging. I don’t recall when I started reading or using some specific ones, but I started writing and maintaining my own personal blog in July of 2005. I did it as a place to express myself with words and to share humour and random musings. I enjoyed publishing my words for all to see, and I really enjoyed it when people (ones I knew or total strangers) would stop by and leave comments. At a time eerily near that of my starting of this program, I basically stopped. It’s not so much that I ran out of original material as I got busy. Over a year later, I started again with a new blog, but in a more focused and anonymous form.

—-

The first time I used blogging with my students was three or four years ago. I didn’t have any solid research or anything behind it – it was before I started this program. I was just a techie guy who thought it would be a worthwhile activity to try with my students. I figured some of them may really like it, especially, perhaps, some of my struggling writers. I was curious to see what would happen (more on that in another post this week). Since I was a Blogger, they used Blogger, too.

This year, I have not used blogs with my students yet. I do, however, use WordPress to maintain my school’s site.

For my own use, I like Blogger. Its interface is clean and simple, and I like how my blog / site looks currently. It’s easy for me to get in, do what I need to do, and log out. For school, I use WordPress because it’s more robust and flexible / customizable. I don’t like how busy its dashboard is, and I’m not a fan of how it works in other ways, but it’s pretty powerful and the finished product looks good.

I don’t think there are any platforms that won’t work for me at al, but I think there are ones that are just less useful / appealing to me now.

Drupal: it sounds solid, and is highly customizable. I just wasn’t ready for a steep learning curve when I started my latest site – which would make it far more trouble than what I want for school now, too.

Edublogs: I’ve heard good things about it, and from the site, I like a lot of the school-specific abilities it affords, but I’m not interested in getting into a blog platform with pay levels.

Loudblog: I’d never heard of it before this week. I gather it’s mainly for publishing media / music, especially podcasts? I’m a music guy, but this site doesn’t like my kind of thing.

Tumblr: I have a few students that are big Tumblr fans. After looking at it this week, I am more open to it – it seems like it has more to offer than I thought it would. However, my first impression of it was that it was mainly picture-based, with fewer words – and a lot of those pictures were of pop culture things or of questionable content. It made me a little uneasy for school use.

Posted in: Week 07: Blogs